Search

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Oak and Poplar Box with Cherry Inlay Part 3

This is the last video in this wooden box build. The box sides are made from an oak limb that had fallen from an oak tree. It was a fairly decent sized oak limb but I could tell it was probably already gone too far for there to be much usable wood in it. The land owner of the land on which the tree resides said he’d like to see me make something out of it. I told him I thought it was too late to do anything with it. But a few weeks later he mentioned it again. I was like, “Dude, it didn’t fall from the tree for no reason.” But it was almost like he was daring me. So I dragged the log back to the shop and began cutting it up. And I did manage to salvage enough boards to make the sides of this box. It was punky wood and pretty brittle but I managed to get those boards. I added some poplar that I had on hand for the tops and bottoms and added a cherry inlay to create this stacked inlaid box. It didn’t happen without a few problems though.



No comments:

Post a Comment